Friday, September 25, 2009

24 days, 10 minutes and One Dollar

My next trip to Israel is just over the horizon. The reservations are made, I have prepared my clients and colleagues for covering while I am gone and I am starting to feel that same mix of excitement and nerves that I always feel on these trips.

This trip is going to take on a much different feel than my trip in February. While that trip was short, 3 days, this is the longest I will have spent in Israel – 10 days. While the last trip was very small and private with great one-on-one experiences, this trip will have a world focus as I participate in the Israeli Presidential Conference (
http://www.presidentconf.org.il/en/) and the JAFI Emerging World Leaders Forum. While the last trip was feet on the ground and heart tugging– this trip will be focused at a more tactical level – this is a trip to develop action and intellect.

But despite the differences, it seems no matter what the duration or focus of my Israel trips, each one has a significant moment that kicks it off. Something that starts that divide between the every day of my life in the US and the sacredness of my time in Israel. My last trip it was my stop in Omaha, this trip it arrived in the mail.

This evening after a long week of travel I was sorting through my pile of mail and came across a letter from our Federation office. I kind of tossed it aside for later, thinking it was something related to Super Sunday recruitment (which I am chairing), or a statement for next years donation or whatever. I went about checking my email and catching up on my day, but that envelope kept calling to me. Finally I gave in and opened it.

Inside the envelope I found a letter from our Federation Campaign Director, Mort – a dear man I am just getting to know and value – and a crisp one dollar bill. As I read the letter I felt my eyes well up with joy, I knew that moment had arrived.

“Dear Pam,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you an incredible journey on your upcoming trip to Israel.

We have a tradition that when someone travels to Israel, we give the person one dollar…for Mazal! It is a dollar for Tzedakah or charity. It means that the carrier of the dollar will have a good journey, and when you are in Israel, you can give the dollar to someone on the street who is in need or at a site that you are visiting.

I want to wish you a wonderful trip and I am anxious to hear all about it on your return.

As they say in Hebrew – L’Hitraut – safe journey, see you soon…bon voyage!

Warmly,
Mort”


And with those words, I know my trip has truly begun.

Edited to add: I have received multiple emails since posting this entry asking if others could send something with me to Israel to be given away while I am there. OF COURSE! I am leaving on 10/18, anything I have received by then will go with me! Thank you to all the wonderful people in my life who are always looking for ways to help others.

2 comments:

  1. The dollar for traveling is a wonderful tradition! Keep blogging, Pam - I hope your trip is as good as the anticipation leading up to it!

    ReplyDelete