Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Don't Ask...Don't Tell


Today the journey began....I have a two day business trip in Nebraska from which I will leave directly for TLV (via Atlanta)...so today was the dreaded "good bye day". Saying good byes is nothing unique in my world, I travel for business most every week. So leaving is something I am pretty good at, but a trip to Israel is always a different set of good byes than heading to Connecticut or Oklahoma.

The good byes take longer, are more intense and there is more planning. The actual good byes are always overshadowed with the sometimes unspoken (sometimes slightly spoken) "what ifs". The reality of life in Israel is on every one's mind no matter how they feel about me going. I find people look at you just a few seconds longer during these good byes, as if they are trying to memorize you just in case......

And I know my view is different too, I gave hugs where I don't normally, I snuggled the furbies a few extra times, I looked around my house longer on the way out the door...just in case....I have no fear going to Israel, I crave it, but I am not naive, I know the risks and realities.

The good byes are just the culmination though of the weird process of letting those around you know you are going to Israel. Despite repeated trips I have yet to figure out the right way to know who you tell you are going and how. The reactions have varied over the years from people who were totally supportive to those that have tried to bribe me to not go to those who have flat out opposed the idea. There are those you tell before you go, there are those you can only tell once you are back safe and sound. There are some you never tell, they can't get past what they see on the news to understand.

This time around was really surprising and enlightening to me. I think it speaks to what a good place my life is at. With the recent upswing in violence (and related press coverage) I went into this very tentatively, not wanting to tell colleagues and hesitant to tell friends. I had no idea the reactions, and didn't want the political views of the world to complicate my relationships.

But my world once again surprised me. Not one person in my immediate circle of friends and colleagues was anything less that supportive. And if anything I received a great deal of support in making the trip happen on short notice. Sure there were those who think it is an insane idea, but even they were true friends and tried to understand why I need to go and helped me make it happen.

I am reminded today what a wonderful life I have, how blessed I am with the people around me and that makes why I am going even more important. As the phrase goes..."To those whom much is given, much is expected". I believe that, I try to live that, so off I go to give back just a small part of all I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment