Friday, January 30, 2009

Size truly doesn't matter....

Contrary to conventional wisdom, in most things size doesn't matter. When it comes to noise that is certainly the case. The plane I just got off (coming to Atlanta) was filled the entire way with the squealing of a baby would couldn't have weighed more than 6 lbs. A small package making great noise. I have a 17 lb cat who lets out a little birdie squeak and nothing more, in his world he is a big package making a small noise.

As children we instinctively know that even if we are small, we can still command the world with our voice, but somewhere around adolescence we begin to forget that. We are conditioned to believe that our one voice can't move mountains, that we only matter if we are part of the majority, that we must fit in to have an impact. I more than anyone fell into this trap. (stop laughing those that know me now, there was a time that I thought this way *smile*).

Particularly when it came to leadership and my role in the philanthropic world, I truly believed unless I have a lot of money, was part of a large Jewish community and had a high power job my voice and my contributions (financial or hands on) would not matter. I would go to events where communities travelled in packs it seemed, and I as the member of a small community faded into the background alone. I let this belief keep me from action and being heard.

But like so much else in my world that view changed in 2001. That year I had my eyes opened to the reality of small voices, inside and outside the Jewish world. That year I moved from Syracuse NY, a large Jewish community, to Binghamton NY, pretty much off the Jewish map completely. I went from being active as part of a group, with strong ties to Israel to being a single voice in a community struggling just to meet social needs at home.

Then into my life walked another person who was pivotal in my future, Rhea. Rhea leads the UJC Network of Jewish Communities, or "the Network". The network represents those communities too small to make it on the UJC map, but still with a strong Jewish heart and soul. Rhea welcomed me into the fold and thus began a great learning adventure for me. I was able to join with others with small voices and be heard and I was given a platform for my voice to be heard. Rhea had the faith in me to send me to speak in many Network communities, and to also to sit at the table with some great leaders in our country (former senators, leaders of industry, Jewish leaders) all were people the world clearly heard, despite them being "off the map" in where they lived.

My experience with the Network helped me see through my eyes and those of others, that one voice can make a difference, if we are willing to scream a little louder. That being the driving force for a cause doesn't make your views any less important. The network helped me find that confidence to help make a difference.

I also learned about other voices via the network. I learned of the elderly of Tbilisi, with voices so weak from age and life that they can barely speak, they asked us to speak for them and I did. I learned of the small voices of the children in Lod, they asked us to tell the world about them and I did. One other voice I met during this time will always call to me even if I someday forget the others, although now silenced, that of Yochai Porat, a volunteer with Magen David Adom, killed in the line of duty. His voice more than any will remind me about giving all you have when its right.

This week I will meet a whole new set of small voices, those who attend school afraid they make not make it home, those who have migrated to Israel from places like Ethiopia and are learning to teach their small voices to speak in their new language, those of teens in Gaza who are trying to cope with their current reality and are afraid to speak loudly for fear of retaliation. They will ask me to speak for them, and to them and I will. I will share their stories with all of you, and hopefully you will share their stories with others, each of our small voices adding to the roar that helps the world remember the things we sometimes try to forget.

It is the small voice in me that is calling me back to Israel, I have been too silent in the last year when it comes to this part of my life. It is the small voices in Gaza that will call me to action upon my return.
Every voice matters, whether you are squeaky, or small, or old or tired, Whether you speak in English, or Hebrew, or Hindi or Spanish or Greek. It's time to speak!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. הלו חבר!/Alo haver!
    I could not love you more for following your heart! One of my life-long friends lives in Beer Sheva. To me too Israeli concerns it is personal. You are right "Every voice matters" and all must be heard.

    I will be reading your blog and sending you our love. (from both twofers and the fourfers)
    Barchot veTefillot!
    спаси и сохрани нас/Save and keep safe us.

    NyxAnyx(NukAnuk) and family

    ReplyDelete